Saturday, March 13, 2010

Ah, the Things You Find When Cleaning Up Old Files...

This is a quote I stumbled across when looking for something else. I eventually used it in a piece I wrote, and considering its source, I still think it still stands out as a bit of brave writing.
“In my career as a detective, both as a police officer and an author, I have always followed the evidence, wherever it lead. My investigation of the death penalty in Oklahoma County has brought me to this conclusion: death penalty cases are not investigated or prosecuted at a level that can guarantee justice, or even that the accused is actually guilty.

I no longer believe in the death penalty. I no longer have faith that it is administered fairly or justly. I fear innocent people have been executed…

I could make all sorts of arguments about deterrence, cost-effectiveness, wrongful convictions, politics, philosophy, and so on. But it boils down to this – the death penalty brings out the worst in all of us: hatred, anger, vengeance, ambition, cruelty, and deceit…

The story of the death penalty in Oklahoma, and throughout America, is sad, even depressing. But it is not without hope. The solution rests with each one of us to see the truth and then act on it. To choose justice over revenge.”


Anyone recognize the source?

You can probably google it in about 2 seconds, but does anyone have any guesses? The answer may surprise some of you. And piss off others.

By the way, for anyone who reads this very erratically published blog, I know, I know. Where have I been?

I think I'm about to break surface again.

5 Comments:

Blogger Guillaume said...

Nice to see you blogging again. It has been a long time. I try to refrain myself from googling it. I love the quote.

10:13 AM, March 13, 2010  
Anonymous Keith Logan said...

Good to know you're back! Did you go to Left Coast Crime?

8:09 PM, March 14, 2010  
Blogger Kevin Burton Smith said...

Left Coast Crime?

Sorta. I had to work Friday and Saturday night I had to do my Mr. Entertainment thing at the coffee house, but I did mini-drive-bys both afternoons, just hanging out in the lobby and the hotel bar, seeing who was there.

Had a long chat with Kate Derie (Cluelass) who shares the pain of having a long-established web site nobody wants to see die, and chatted (oh too) briefly with Mary Jane Maffini, Sam Reaves, John Shannon, Gayle Lynds (Dennis' widow), Bobby and Linda from the Mystery Bookstore here in LA. Also ran into Twist Phelan and Robin Burcell (who decided I was doing the sexy bald guy thing) and Christina Faust, who showed me her new Hard Case Crime tattoo.

As an added bonus, I'm now an expert at driving right into downtown LA.

But dropping by was good -- it reminded me how much fun these things can be.

Maybe Bouchercon in San Francisco is next.

11:45 AM, March 15, 2010  
Blogger David Snowdon said...

Hi Kevin, I hear you've not been blogging for a while. Well I've just discovered your blog and found it rather interesting. It's the kind of blog I've been looking for. And I hope to stop by from time to time.

The author of Too Young To Die, The Mind of a Genius and A Crime To Be Rich.

1:00 PM, March 15, 2010  
Blogger Graham Powell said...

Googled that quote and the first hit was your January Magazine review. Was very surprised by the writer.

1:03 PM, March 16, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home