Sunday, November 21, 2010

Twits are for Kids...

And grumpy old web monkeys, evidently. You can now keep up to date on what's happening in the P.I. world -- and my take on them -- by following ThrillDetective on Twitter.

Actually, it's all part of my plan (as much as I've ever planned anything) to rejuvenate The Thrilling Detective Web Site.

To those of you who've been followed the site through the years, you've probably noticed it's been pretty dormant until recently.

But that's about to change. If you head on over to the site you'll see I'm well into round two of our special, "We're Not Dead Yet" transitional phase.

I'm still tweaking things, but here's a quick recap: unfortunately, due to severe time constraints, part of our previous concept (or was it conceit?) of semi-regular "issues" featuring a handful of original stories and selected excerpts, has -- after a lot of soul-searching and hand-wringing over the last year -- been taken out to the woods and gently tucked into a shallow grave. Temporarily or forever, I'm not sure, but currently I just don't have the dime or the time to devote to the fiction side of this site. Or at least in any sort of way that will ensure the quality you've come to expect.

I will, however, continue to try to keep -- with renewed energy, I hope, and your encouragement -- the reference portion of the site going. That, in fact, was the original idea for the site: a big P.I. reference site. And actually, non-fiction has always been the less glamorous but major portion of this site -- and plenty time-consuming in its own right. But I intend to keep it going for as long as I can. Or until the wheels inevitably fall off.

To keep this site current and moving along -- and to make sure I don't slack off -- I intend to maintain a short list of ten or so items detailing happenings in the P.I. world. This Just In... will feature short, mostly snappy blasts (I hope), with appropriate links, that will direct you to -- or give you my take on -- some of the things that have caught my eye lately and that may be of interest to you. Abbreviated versions of them will also appear here on this blog and on our Twitter feed occasionally.

I've also introduced a Quote of the Week, just for fun. Feel free to submit suggestions. If I choose one of yours, I'll send you a P.I. book or something... Lord knows, I have too many books.

For those of you who despair that you'll never read fiction on the site again, please note that, like Sean Connery, I never said "never".

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Guillaume said...

At last! Christmas comes early.

3:39 PM, November 21, 2010  
Blogger Kevin Burton Smith said...

It does?

I'm almost done shopping for the last one...

8:40 AM, November 22, 2010  
Blogger Guillaume said...

Yeah, I was actually wondering if it wouldn't have been funnier: Christmas 2009 at last!

Funny, I blogged about a quote in The Big Sleep when you published this post.

11:19 AM, November 22, 2010  
Blogger Kevin Burton Smith said...

Ah, yes, the famous orchid quote. Good stuff.

When you finish re-reading THE BIG SLEEP (in English, this time), let us know how it translated. Chandler seems so locked into language, I wonder how he translates....

By the way, I envy and I wish I had your fluent bilingualism (alas, I grew up when a lot of Anglophones, including my parents, were still in denial), but my reading in French was always shaky, mostly limited to school work and a few crime BDs.

9:04 PM, November 22, 2010  
Blogger Guillaume said...

The translation was done by Boris Vian, so it was quality stuff, but it takes some "franchouillard" tone sometimes, as far as I remember anyway. A lot is lost in every translation of course.

Thank you, but you know I think I need a third language to be really envied.

And thank you for commenting on my wife's blog.

1:50 PM, November 23, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home